Total Pageviews

Monday, November 8, 2010

Will AZ be our Gateway back to KONA?

Hello friends and family!

It has been a while since I have written on my blog. We have been pretty busy here in household Pena. Jose with training and me, well, with just about everything else that goes on around here.
The Arizona Ironman is only about 2 weeks away and we will soon find out if this will be Jose's "Gateway back to Kona". I have to admit I am getting a bit anxious already. I always do. We realize that this is going to be a very difficult task, but I know Jose is up for the challenge. I personally believe he can do it, and I hope he will have a good day on November 21st. Because, some of it is not always in our hands on those race days. "I Believe". haha. He has certainly trained extremely hard over the past year. Really, ever since we returned from Hawaii in October 2009, it has been a non-stop rigorous training schedule. I am still amazed at how, every morning, he would and still continues to get up at 4:30am to train before going to work. Then it was more training after work, at night, on weekends..over the summer putting in 300 miles/week on the bike, taking Master Swim Classes to improve form and speed. Finally being able to break 3 hours in the marathon. You name it, he did it. And the results of his training and commitment have shown. Just this year in September, he participated in the Tour de Poway for the first time. This is a 100 mile Century ride and he was able to finsh with the #1 rider in 4 hours, 42 minutes. It was great seeing him in this race, as I followed in my "Team Car" with the boys (hahaha), just watching him literally fly by. I was not able to take any photo's. I couldn't get it done. It was impossible. the only shot I have is the one on this post from a photographer on the course. Wow, I thought. This guy can really ride this bike!! He was actually keeping up with some pretty good riders. I smiled all day. I called him the "rebel in the group". Jose decided to wear a torn off old Nike dri-fit shirt, because "it's much more comfortable". I have enjoyed and just loved this past year, hearing his stories when he comes back from his long rides about the "Wolf Pack" and chasing "Rabbits". Those stories I will post sometime as well, because they are pretty hilarious, but for now, just keep your fingers crossed for us on November 21st. It is almost here and only God knows what will happen on that day. I am, again, just wanting and praying for a healthy and safe finish. But of course I really hope for him that he makes it. He deserves it and I will be rooting for him all the way back to Kona if he gets the chance. For I am still the proud wife of this awesome man, doing something extraordinary and amazing. Giving us as a family something so special to see. He is a great example for our boys and I am so happy to be living this life I have. Thank you honey!! We are proud of you and thrilled for you no matter what happens. You will always be our hero :0) Love you lots!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have read your blogspot and isn't it just fantastic????
Great story and of course lots of tears but also of joy! Have fun in Phoenix and over here we aill keep our fingers crossed and .... pray Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Mams